The Buy Nothing Academy: A Self-Paced Online Course
Buy Nothing Project Mission Statement, Community Commitment & Community Agreement
Welcome, everyone, to our Buy Nothing Project Community Guide Online Course!
We’re honored to have you join us here to learn more about how to build and also participate in a strong Buy Nothing gift economy.
This course is for anyone who would like to be a better gift economist, or participant in a sharing community, whether it’s online or in person. We’ve written this course as a means to provide you with background on what flourishing gift economies can look and feel like, and how you can help to build and sustain an equitable and inclusive gift economy in your community. We’ll provide you with tools to use, like posts you’re welcome to use in your giving communities, and ideas for sharing creatively, like in-person events, so you and your neighbors can weave even tighter connections with one another, all in celebration of sharing the abundance mindset that is possible in every community. If you’d like a summary of the course, and a brief How-to description, please visit our Online Course Outline.
Our Buy Nothing Project Mission Statement:
We offer people a way to give and receive, share, lend, and express gratitude through a worldwide network of hyper-local gift economies in which the true wealth is the web of connections formed between people who are real-life neighbors.
- We believe hyper-local gift economies strengthen the social fabric of their communities, and ensure the health and vitality of each participant.
- We come from a place of abundance ~ not scarcity.
- We believe in abundance, we give, we ask, we share, we lend and we express gratitude.
- We are a gift economy, not a charity. We see no difference between want and need, waste and treasure.
- We measure wealth by the personal connections made and trust between people.
- We value people and their stories and narratives above the ‘stuff.’
- We are inclusive at our core.
- We value honesty and integrity in all our interactions.
- We view all gifts as equal; the human connection is the value.
- We believe every community has the same wealth of generosity and abundance.
The Community Agreement, written by the Buy Nothing Equity Team, is the guiding contract for all participants in a Buy Nothing Facebook group and we hope you click through to read it fully. (We are not reprinting the entire Agreement here for brevity’s sake.)
Buy Nothing Community Commitment:
- Participate at your own risk. You are responsible for all of your interactions online and in person, and must do your own research and make your own choices in order to keep yourself safe.
- Keep Everything Legal. You must respect all laws and regulations in force everywhere you participate in the BuyNothing community.
- All people who are 18 years of age and older are welcome here.
- No hate speech, threats or harassment. No gifts that glorify hate groups or call upon others to join in active hate. We define hate speech as words or images that demean or dehumanize another person or group of people on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar historically marginalized metric.
- Give freely, receive freely, and share freely. No selling, buying, renting, trading, bartering, or otherwise engaging in this-for-that interactions. No marketing or advertising. All gifts offered and requested must be freely-given without expectation of any reward or reimbursement. Remember that all gifts have the same value in Buy Nothing: Priceless.
- Give, Ask, and Share without limit. You may offer as much as you’d like to give. You may request as much as you’d like to receive. You may not find homes for all of your gifts and you may not receive everything you ask for, but you are encouraged to offer and ask without limit on how much, how often, market value, etc.
- Build Trust. Be honest in your communication and strive to build trust through genuine interactions.
- Be accountable for yourself and your impact on the Buy Nothing community. You are always in charge of your own posts and can edit or remove things as you desire. You may block anyone you don’t want to connect with.
- Show your humanity. Remember that each person you meet here is a real person. None of us are perfect, sometimes we get things right and sometimes we get things wrong. Speak your truth without fear, listen with compassion, build the sort of community you want to live in, and allow people the time and space to learn better so they can do better.
- Be open to creativity. Experiment to find new ways and new gifts to give, request, and share. Find ways to use your Gives, Asks, Gratitude and Shares to build a more equitable, joyful, inclusive, sustainable, and compassionate community.
- Real Humans Only – Participate as yourself. No bots, no spam, no accounts for fraudulent purposes, no troll accounts.
- Your name and pronouns
- How you heard about Buy Nothing
- Why you’re here and want to participate in a gift economy
- What you want to accomplish in your community
I’ll go first and introduce myself to you –
Hello! I’m Jennifer Lansdowne. My pronouns are she/her. I’m a native of Austin, TX. I discovered the Buy Nothing Project in Dec of 2014, although I can’t remember how. I created a Buy Nothing Facebook group when there wasn’t one for my area yet. I’ve volunteered with the Project ever since then and it’s become a huge facet of my life. I want to empower people to connect with their neighbors and use less new stuff.
Until the BuyNothing app is live in August of 2021 you can sign up for the waitlist at www.buynothingapp.com Check to see if your community is beta testing the app and join us.
Please go to Lesson 2.
© 2021 Liesl Clark, Rebecca Rockefeller, and Jennifer Lansdowne on behalf of the Buy Nothing Project. All Rights Reserved.