The Buy Nothing Project is inclusive at its core. All people are welcome in their local Buy Nothing community. We want you to express yourself in all of the ways that come naturally or easily to you and that meet your communication needs.
It’s fine to use a lot of whole words to tell a story about your offer or request, and it’s fine to use abbreviations or acronyms, or to use any combination of words and images that you’d like.
Some things to keep in mind when writing a post include:
- Some of the people in your community may communicate most easily in another language.
- Using simple, clear wording might help more people understand your posts and comments.
- Some people might be of different generations and may not understand certain slang or abbreviations.
- Some of the people in your community may process language differently, for instance, by taking language literally.
- Some people may be rushed for time and just need to be brief to find a new home for their item. Short posts are welcome in Buy Nothing.
- Some people may have a story to share along with their gift or request. Long posts and stories about Gives, Asks & Gratitude are welcome in Buy Nothing.
You can help:
- If you see miscommunication or misunderstanding happening between neighbors, you can comment to offer a helpful perspective or clarification.
- If you speak multiple languages, you can offer the gift of translation for neighbors who might benefit from that.
- If you don’t understand a post and want clarification, please ask for that help in a comment.
We can all work towards a shared understanding. Google translate is a helpful resource, even if it isn’t perfect.