Welcome to the Buy Nothing Community! All of our Buy Nothing groups are part of a network of worldwide groups that we officially set up and monitor so that each group has the same giving and sharing culture we’ve worked hard to perfect in our two and a half years of running this social experiment.
Here’s how we can set up your new group for you:
- Let us know that you would like to admin a group by sending us an email to thebuynothingproject<at>gmail<dot>com. We’ll set up a Facebook Group for your neighborhood – Since you know your region better than we do, think about what area makes sense as a single group; you’ll want an area large enough to gather a critical mass of members, but not so large geographically that it will be difficult for members to connect in person to share things. Our groups serve population areas for an average of 35,000 residents, so please keep this in mind when outlining the region that your community group will reach.
- Your group will need one or two volunteer administrators. Group admins are responsible for answering questions and helping to keep the Buy Nothing culture developing in a kind way. If you can’t volunteer as the local administrator of your new local Buy Nothing group, recruit a friend who can! From here on out, the directions will assume that you are going to be one of these administrators.
- If you don’t already have a Facebook account, you’ll need to create one. Buy Nothing Project groups connect online through Facebook group pages, so each Buy Nothing member needs a Facebook account.
- We’ll notify you when we’ve set up your group and will invite you to join, then upgrade you to administrator status. We’ll co-admin with you to help things run smoothly, answer questions, and share tips from other groups around the world. We’ll also invite you to join our project admin support group, the go-to place for all our BN admins to ask questions and receive the support and materials they need to run a hyper-local gift economy.
- Invite your local friends to the new group, and ask each of them to invite their friends, and so on and so forth.
- Start posting! Groups need to see examples of every sort of interaction that Buy Nothing fosters: Things being given freely, things being ask for freely, items up for loan and sharing. The more there is to scroll through, the easier it is for new members to see how things work, and the more inspired everyone will be to add their own things to the mix.
- It’s that simple!
Once you send us a request to start a new group, if you haven’t heard back in a week, please check your ‘spam folder’ in your email system in case you missed our reply, and thanks for your patience! Our volunteer development admin team is working 24/7 in order to respond to the many inquiries received each day.
- ©Liesl Clark